Why We Started a Seniors Housing Co-op
A group of individuals from the Castlegar, BC area came together in 2002 to address concerns for the future: their adult (55+) years.
These are some of the situations they were concerned with:
- The increasing numbers of seniors in the West Kootenay region - from 12% to 25% in the past few years, and still increasing
- The increasing lengths of 'wait' lists for access to existing care facilities - 200+ in 2005
- The recent decrease and cuts in government funding for senior's housing and health care
- The cost of care in many facilities is beyond the means of the residents and their families
- Care facilities are often located many miles (km) from friends and family
What We Envision
These are some statements agreed on by our members to describe our identity, vision, and mission:
Spirit of Community
As the project got underway, the enthusiasm and vision of the members was exceptional. Please see the Member Testimonials section to read their expressions of this enthusiasm for the project.
The Spirit of Community page includes some stories about the ongoing community spirit and support we experience as members of our co-op family.
Our Vision Becomes a Reality
The construction of the apartments and care facilities in the Château Grandview is anticipated to begin in the Spring of 2012. With three options now available our vision is becoming a reality.
For more information about the progress we've made in implementing these three branches of the project please see:
- Grandview Heights for information about the bungalows and duplexes,
- Calamida Estates for information about the building lots, and
- Château Grandview for information about the apartments and care complex
A brief history of the project
- The Kootenay Columbia Senior's Housing Cooperative was incorporated on September 22, 2005
- A 60 acre parcel of land within the Castlegar City limit was located in 2006
- Construction of the first Ground Floor Term Lease units was begun in April 2008, with occupation of the first units in the Spring 2009
- Construction of Château Grandview is anticipated for Spring 2013
If you are interested in any of these options, please make an appointment to discuss this with one of the following:
- Jim Laktin (250) 608-2729
- Ken Hood (250) 365-6506
- Elmer Verigin (250) 304-2801